Sometimes it can be hard to find the perfect temperature. But when you do finally get your home to the optimal temperature, it is easier to relax and enjoy yourself. Not to mention, it is much easier to get a better night’s sleep. Though you may not think about it often, the temperature in your home is important to helping you and your family stay comfortable.
How to Achieve Home Comfort
The temperature of your home can impact indoor air quality, which not only affects your home comfort, but can also contribute to a number of health factors. Here are some factors that impact your home comfort:
Allergens & Pollutants
When people leave and re-enter your home, they bring with them contaminants from outside. The three primary culprits impacting your indoor air quality are:
- Particles – made up of dust, soil, pet dander, and allergens
- Mold, Mildew, and Germs – Mold and mildew thrive in moist climates, and they can be harmful to your health when inhaled.
- Vapors and Odors – The chemicals that you use to clean your home can also impact air quality, triggering allergies and other respiratory issues.
The relative humidity present in your room has an inevitable effect on your home comfort. Just as temperature influences your comfort and rest, dampness can also have a significant impact on your health and happiness. Dampness can influence the “felt temperature” by as much as 8 degrees, regardless of the fact that the real temperature doesn’t change. The direct implication of this is that in case if you are in a cool room where the moisture isn’t properly controlled, you’ll feel more warmth than if you were in a room with drier air that was a couple of degrees hotter.
As mentioned before, mold and mildew also thrive in moist areas. Humidity increases moisture levels in your home, inviting these pollutants in. Mold and mildew can trigger serious allergy symptoms or asthma attacks, and they can even cause respiratory issues in those who normally breathe easy.
Temperature Management Tips
If you have a hard time finding the perfect home temperature, use these tips to create a more comfortable environment for you and your family:
- One of the best ways to cool your home evenly is to utilize the ventilation system sensibly to ensure that there is airflow to all rooms.
- Keep the thermostat at a sensible setting and ensure your entryways and windows are free of any obstructions.
- Control the heat coming in through windows by using blinds, curtains, and other drapery.
- Utilize a programmable thermostat to raise the temperature a couple of degrees when you are away to save energy, and then lower the temperature before you return home so that you are comfortable.
It is important to pay attention to home temperature and indoor air quality in order to provide a happy, healthy, and comfortable environment for you and your family. If you have trouble getting comfortable, give us a call today to discover some HVAC options that can improve your home comfort.